Monday, March 29, 2010

Improvements

Do you remember this post? If you don't, read and then come back :) In February, (before we thought we would be selling the house) Steve decided we should scrape the popcorn off our ceiling. We had originally planned to use beadboard but a month later we discovered that the beadboard pieces came in dimensions that wouldn't fit our bathroom ceiling and we would have ended up with a bunch of seams. (I think that's why beadboard is primarily meant for walls) Anyway, a month later, we decide to put the house up for sale but the ceiling still needed to be dealt with. Our realtor advised us it was an easy fix but to leave it and we could sell "as is". I asked if there was anything I could do to try to fix it. He said to smooth over rough seams by using cement compound, letting it dry, then sanding it down so that it would be close to smooth. After that, get the brightest white flat ceiling paint I could find and paint. Well, I have to say I was very pleased with the results. The only regret I have is that we didn't do it sooner.

That same regret would be for the kitchen floor as well. If you've ever been to our house, our kitchen floor is not to be forgotten. Not "because it's so beautiful you can't help but remember it" kind of not forgotten. It's the "wow, do you realize that your kitchen floor is hideous?!" kind of not forgotten. It was on my list of the top 3 things I HAD to change immediately once we first moved in. Did I mention that was almost 4 years ago? Ehhhhh. Well, time slipped away and I think we learned to ignore the disgusting sticky tiles that were probably at least 10+ years old, which had slipped apart and the cracks were now filled with mysterious who knows what. So, after meeting with our realtor to see what had to be done to sell, we decided more sticky tile was the solution. Yes, I thought it was crazy at first too. But we got 18" tiles to cover the 12" tiles that were previously there. My sweet husband spent one ENTIRE weekend recovering the floor. It wouldn't seem like it would be much work but sticky tiles are very thick and very difficult to cut, especially around rounded edges and doorways. And he did a marv job.

We've been on the market for almost 2 weeks and we've only had one showing. We're praying and waiting and praying and praying and praying and waiting and getting impatient and praying some more. We don't know what God is doing but we're anxious to find out!


This is a before picture of the vanity in the upstairs bathroom, identical to the one in the Master bath


Purple prime


One door down, one to go


After popcorn but before paint. And one icky 80's light fixture


Completed ceiling!!


Completed vanity


New and improved Master bath


Oh hello there, most hideous floor in the world!


Steve in the midst of the mess


I've always thought it'd be convenient to have the stove next to the fridge, right?


Our kitchen was a wreck; no where to eat and no stove to cook it on. So we got Chinese take out and had a picnic in the living room.

Do you see why we couldn't cook or eat in there? Or maybe I just like Chinese take out.


New floor!!


My cozy "new" kitchen

2 comments:

Hilary Ann said...

your projects look wonderful! I especially love the difference the new tile makes, well done!!

Anonymous said...

GREAT job you and Steve have done!! I'm IMPRESSED! <3